Ask Your Question

fuel-agent / cloud-init is using the wrong host information

asked 2017-09-29 15:35:09 -0600

jamesopst gravatar image

hi all

I am using Fuel 10. I have a known good environment, I've used fuel to deploy the controllers, etc and 10 compute nodes so far. I have instances running on those nodes..

when attempting to deploy a 11th compute node I am running into issues. Way back, before the 10 compute nodes, there was a previous attempt to deploy this node, this attempt was unsuccessful because of a bad hard drive. Now that this is fixed I am deploying again.

Back then it fuel refered to it as hostname node-20. Now fuel used hostname node-31. Everything I can see on the surface, including the fuel2 CLI, shows this node as node-31. Yet, after the Ubuntu OS is provisioned and the host reboots cloud-init is setting node-20 hostname, and using many settings from node-20.

I believe this is causing Fuel not to be able to communicate with the node and the deployment/provisioning times out with #<runtimeerror: could="" not="" find="" any="" hosts="" in="" discovery="" data="" provided="">

on this broken node-31 I find these files/values in /var/lib/cloud

root@node-20:/var/lib/cloud# grep -R node-20 *

Binary file instance/obj.pkl matches
Binary file instances/nocloud/obj.pkl matches

please let me know what in Fuel is setting these values? is it cloud-init? And how can I intervene and avoid it being set incorrectly?

I assume the node's UUID or MAC address is already in some Fuel database associated with node-20 and these files are being populated incorrectly because of that.


edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

1 answer

Sort by » oldest newest most voted

answered 2017-10-02 16:20:19 -0600

jamesopst gravatar image

updated 2017-11-20 13:03:48 -0600

I have gotten around this issue.

I'm not sure how I got around this issue, but my theory is something I noticed quite by accident.

The servers I was having these troubles on use 80GB hard drives, but they also have a flash drive in them, for small OS deployments. I stumbled across a /dev/sda6 partition on these flash drives.

On this partition I found 2 files: meta-data and user-data. In those files was the old node name I mentioned in the original post. This partition must have been detected, and these stale files were used by fuel-agent when the newly provisioned node first booted, even though they were booting from the 80GB drive which had its own /dev/sda6 partition.

I suspect the stale/incorrect /dev/sda6 is probably is from Fuel 8 when we tried to deploy on some of these flash drives...

once I deleted the stale/incorrect /dev/sda6 then theprovisioning and deployment went perfectly


edit flag offensive delete link more

Get to know Ask OpenStack

Resources for moderators

Question Tools

1 follower


Asked: 2017-09-29 15:35:09 -0600

Seen: 334 times

Last updated: Nov 20 '17